National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Government of India sponsored public service program; conducted by the Ministry of Youth affairs & Sports, Govt of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhi’s centenary year in 1969. The motto of NSS ‘Not me but you’ declares the selfless characteristics of the scheme. It aims at developing amongst students a sense of participation in nation building through social work. This deepens understanding of the social environment and enriches his/her personality through actual participation in the day-to-day life of society.
This experimental learning is a desirable supplement to classroom education and develops in the student a sense of responsibility, tolerance, and cooperation. National Service Scheme (NSS) plays a vital role in the development of the latent aspects of a student’s personality.
A student volunteer who has completed 240 hrs of work and attended a special camp during the course of two years is eligible for National Service Scheme (NSS) certificate from the University. This certificate gives weightage for higher studies and is an additional qualification for appointment in public services.
Since the establishment of the college in 2005, the NSS unit has been functioning successfully offering very good citizens to society. Now College have 2 NSS Units.
Sri. Ranjith Kumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Business Administration
Smt. Pravitha, Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Aims and Objectives:
- Development of the personality of students through community service.
- To work with and among people.
- To enhance creative and constructive social action.
- To enhance knowledge of self and the community through a confrontation with reality.
- To enable them to understand the growing up process and awareness on youth health issues: alcoholism, smoking, substance abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, etc.
- To acquire skills in program development for future self-employment.
- To gain skills in the exercise of democratic leadership and to form an idea on the dynamics of marriage and family as a social institution.
- To promote the will to serve the weaker sections of the community.
Eligibility for membership
All students of the college are eligible to be N.S.S volunteers. But they have to submit an application for the purpose. After screening, successful ones are enlisted as volunteers.